digital illust

Character Design

5:59 pm


Task given was to create an original character . Lecturer gave specific instructions not to draw in anime style but its okay. I found some inspiration from Persona summons and Final Fantasy monsters and summons . 

My concept was to do a end boss kind of character so I drew a few sketches at first but discarded right away for the next one until I finally decided to settle on one.

I had an idea of an innocent girl with a very over-powered skill so with that in mind I drew the 4 elements and weapons surrounding her. I made her stabbing herself because a sacrifice is needed to be given before a great power is used.
It was scrapped as soon as I coloured it.


I modified from the previous sketch and did a light and dark concept with galaxy as though she is the overseer of the universe.
Scrapped as soon as added the weapons because it looked too odd.


I deleted everything from the previous layer and started anew. I was listening to some classical songs and came up with a suffering death angel.


I modified from the previous sketch and did some research on a greek goddess caled "Asteria" whom is the Goddess of the Stars.












Final Outcome

Asteria 

The Titan goddess of nocturnal oracles and falling stars


 The flower on her right eye is the "Night Blooming Cereus" which means 'night' in flower language.

The 11 rapiers around her represent her name attributed to the following eleven individuals: the daughter of Coeus, an Amazon woman, Heliad, Danaid, Alkyonides, the Consort of Phocus, the consort of Bellerophon, the daughter of Coronus, the daughter of Teucer, an Athenian maiden, and a character in the opera "Telemaco"

The tainted wings are because of  she was married to the river god Hydaspes but was forced on by Zeus , then escaped and became the "quail island" of Ortygia.This then became identified with the island of Delos, which was the only piece on earth to give refuge to the fugitive Leto when, pregnant with Zeus's children, she was pursued by vengeful Hera. Later in her life , she was one of the would-be sacrificial victims of Minotaur,  As a woman , she became the consort of many other men and so her freedom(white wings) then became tainted , lastly was sacrificed to the Minotaur . Her last form should be befitting with her title so I made the wings almost black but she is still able to use them.

In general , her appearance is dark so that stars are able to be seen better. Her hair is made from clouds because I was thinking that , " Even if clouds cover the night sky , the stars don't disappear, they're just waiting for their time to shine again . "


You Might Also Like

0 comments